Dos & Don’ts to Keep Your Septic System in Good Working Condition
- Space out water usage (e.g. do laundry throughout the week, not all in one day).
- Do not allow run-off water near the disposal system (e.g. rain gutter and foundation drains).
- Keep trees away from disposal field and tanks (roots look for water).
- Watch what you flush down the toilet (e.g. cat litter, diapers, sanitary napkins, tampons, paper towels, facial tissues, coffee grounds, cigarette butts, or similar items). These items can quickly fill and clog tank system.
- Garbage disposals are not recommended, as they fill the tank rapidly because it can’t break down the solids fast enough. The tank will have to be pumped more often.
- Heavy cleaners and chemicals kill beneficial bacteria in the septic systems, so they cannot break down solids like they should.
- Do not pour grease down the drain. It will eventually clog your drain and your disposal system.
- Do not drive over your system or build on it.
- Septic additives do not hurt the system – the more bacteria, the better.
- Never enter your septic tank – there are fatal gases. Ardalta Vacuum Truck Services Ltd technicians are trained and equipped for tank and confined space entry.
- Have your septic tank pumped and serviced every 1-2 years.
These are useful guidelines. Lack of maintenance or abuse of system will result in expensive repairs. A maintained system will give many years of good service.
See what Ardalta can do for your septic system!